In step one you will have checked your short list of domain names for availability. Using the final Domain Name you have chosen for your blog or website, you can now progress to purchasing your website hosting to give it a home of its own!
Step Two : Domain Registration and Website Hosting
I’ve listed two website hosting plan options for you below, both being ideal for starter websites and blogs, having the added benefit of a control panel with the one click WordPress install tool.
- The Build Your Own Website Hosting Plan costs *£1.00 per month plus domain name costs, and may be all you need for a small ‘portfolio’ style website that does not require hundreds of pages of website content.
- This is another affordable website hosting plan and costs *£5.00 per month plus domain name costs, and will accommodate your plans for a larger website or blog with lots of ongoing content.
You are presented with the choice of :
- purchasing your domain name together with your website hosting account
- transferring an existing domain name, purchased elsewhere, to your new hosting account
- purchasing website hosting alone (you’ll need to change your domain name servers)
- Simply follow the steps presented to you on the hosting package website
Once you have completed this online process, the hosting supplier will send your account confirmation via email. You will also be provided with the access and login details you will need for reaching your website hosting control panel. (access url may be : http://www.yourdomainname.co.uk/cpanel)
Purchase your Domain Name and your chosen website hosting plan together, or purchase your website hosting plan alone. Simply follow the steps presented to you on the hosting package website. Ask any hosting plan questions here.
Please note that domain names can take up to 48hours to be populated with the relevant technical (server) information, although it is often almost immediate!
* Pricing correct at time of writing, please check the website prior to purchase to confirm any price changes, hosting space or other plan inclusions. (This is not an affiliated product/service, but is one I use and can recommend!)
In the next step, you’ll learn how to install WordPress, quickly and easily.
Website Beginner Series and Further Reading
- Where Have All The ‘Best’ Domain Names Gone?
- Give Your Website or Blog A Home to Call its Own
- Install WordPress in a Few Clicks of Your Mouse
- Customise Your Default WordPress Web Design Layout
- Present a Better Picture – Change Your WP Theme
- What’s a WordPress Framework and How Do Child Themes Work? (pdf)
- Beginner Video Tutorials – Learn WordPress Fast!