What is Twitter?
Twitter was originally an experimental project started in 2006/7 which was based on the concept of short messages, similar to SMS text messages, for updated, latest or breaking news.
It’s come a long way since those early days and it is now well recognised as a perfect social media vehicle, for individuals and businesses alike, as a way to build relationships and communicate with others locally and worldwide.
- Twitter lets you write and read short messages of up to 140 characters inclusive of punctuation and spaces.
- You can choose who to ‘follow’ and control who follows you.
- Your messages will be made public, except private messages known as a DM or direct message, sent to others.
If you are new to social media and Twitter, then the following video will take you through the simple steps for creating your own small business or personal account.
Learn more from Twitter
“When you combine messages that are quick to write, easy to read, public, controlled by the recipient and exchangeable anywhere, you’ve got a powerful, real-time way to communicate. And real-time communication is turning out to be ground-breaking for users and businesses alike.”
- Open Your Twitter Account
- Connect with us @WebsitesChester on Twitter
- Read the Twitter 101 Guide here.
We’ll be covering more twitter tips and tutorials in future social media articles.